This is the twelfth major empirical International Arbitration Survey conducted by the School of International Arbitration, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). We are pleased once again to welcome White & Case LLP as our project partner.
The Survey considers how international arbitration has adapted, or may continue to adapt further, as the interests and needs of the arbitral community reflect global changes including the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Survey aims to research the outlook of the international arbitration community as a whole not just the views of a particular group. All stakeholders therefore are invited to share their perspectives of international arbitration, including private practitioners, in-house counsels, arbitrators, academics, or those working for an arbitral institution.
We appreciate that not all questions are relevant to all respondents. Please feel free to leave blank any question you cannot answer. The questionnaire should take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
In addition to the questionnaire phase of the Survey, we will seek to conduct individual interviews with a selection of willing respondents from October 2020 to January 2021.
Your participation in this questionnaire will be kept fully confidential. Your name and the name of your organisation will not appear on any materials connected with the Survey. The information gathered by the questionnaire will be stored securely by QMUL and used only for the purposes of the current Survey and any subsequent surveys.
The closing date for responses is 11 December 2020. The questionnaire can be completed online, or in PDF format and sent to Maria Fanou. Links to both versions are available on the following website:
We are grateful for your participation and look forward to the Survey’s outcomes. Please feel free to forward this questionnaire to any other potentially interested respondents.Further information can be obtained from:
White & Case Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in International Arbitration
School of International Arbitration
Centre for Commercial Law Studies
Queen Mary, University of London
67-69 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3JB, UK
Tel: +44 20 7882 8211 / +33 06 12 52 50 96
- Please answer as many questions as you can, leaving blank any that you are not able to answer.
- Please answer all questions based on your knowledge only. Answering the questions does not require any data collection or research.
- Please note that if your company is a subsidiary or branch of a larger group, you should only answer for the subsidiary/branch over which you have responsibility, rather than for the whole group.
- All questions are concerned with international disputes only. For the purposes of the Survey this means: disputes in which the parties, or their controlling shareholders, are from different jurisdictions, or disputes where the parties are from the same jurisdiction, but the dispute involves an international (i.e. not purely domestic) element.
- When a question states that it concerns a specific period of time (e.g. “the past 5 years”), and you only have an answer for a shorter period, please give an answer for that shorter period.